12.18.2012

a lost generation

"This generation thinks they're so entitled..."

I was given my first cell phone my freshman year of high school, a new car when I was 16, and an iPad when I graduated from college. So, okay - I can see why people say that, especially when I think about my special Grandpa who, to this day, never ever leaves any food on his plate & scolds me when I do because he knows what it's like to live through the Great Depression with five brothers and three sisters; his momma had so little to spend on groceries each week, and sometimes, she'd have to put some groceries back just to sneak them one candy bar to share amongst the nine of them. To this day, when he talks about his momma, you'd think he was talking about a queen. He loves that lady. When I sit here and think about it all, I feel disgustingly spoiled.

With everything that's been in the news recently, it's safe to say something's gotta give. When I applied to be a Leadership Consultant, the essay I wrote about why I wanted this job was all about empowerment. Throughout my whole life, people have empowered me to make a difference, and so now, it's my turn to empower others it's our turn, as the so-called entitled generation, to hold each other accountable.

Consider this your call-to-action:

Now, go do something & make a difference in this world, be the positive change our country is screaming for, or better yet

refuse to be part of a lost generation.

 

1 comment: